Facelift without scalpel – minimally invasive
Thread lift (Aptos®, Silhouette®)
Aptos or thread lifts are modern lifting methods that leave no visible scars. Special threads are inserted under the skin through small incisions. This happens under local anesthesia. Barbs secure and tighten the skin from below and provide a lifting of the slackened skin. At the same time the stimulation of the connective tissue leads to collagen regeneration with an additional tightening effect.
The thread lift can be used for the corrections of facial and neck contours, upper arms and abdomen. During the procedure one or more areas can be treated.
Time of treatment
Local anesthesia (possible sedation)
There are different names for this relatively new procedure:
The Moscow doctor and surgeon Prof. Dr. Marlen A. Sulamanidze –the inventor of this method- called his lifting threads “Aptos threads”. He infers “Aptos” from the technical term “antiptosis”. “Ptosis” is the term for hanging so accordingly “antiptosis” acts contrary to it. It lifts. Aptos and lifting are therefore words of similar meaning.
“Soft lifting” describes a major advantage of the new method: soft and gentle therapy. “Thread lift” points out that fine special threads are inserted into the skin which lifts it.
Degradable (absorbable) threads can be used for Happy Lift and the Aptos lift. Their duration of action is approximately 18 months. There are also non-degradable threads for Aptos lift. Another possibility is a kind of mixture (Silhouette thread lift) of threads made of polypropylene (non-degradable) and degradable barbs which embed themselves within the subcutaneous tissue. The “lifting effect” lasts about 18 to 36 months.
Treatment with Aptos threads goes as follows:
- The doctor marks on the face which areas are to be lifted and where the threads run.
- Local anesthesia
- A fine cannula is inserted along the marked line through the lower fat.
- The cannula is hollow inside and the doctor then inserts the Aptos thread.
- The cannula is gently pulled out again – therefore remains the lifting thread in the tissue
- First the doctor pulls at one and then on the other end of the protruding end of the thread. Thus he is creating the lifting effect.
- The ends are cut off and so the threads are concealed beneath the skin.
Cooling for 1-2 days; the treated area may not be massaged for about 6 weeks
Advantage of Aptos lifting
- immediate visible lifting effect
- no cuts, just tiny needle punctures: barely any scars
- no general anesthesia
- standing up immediately after treatment: no bed rest, no hospital stay
- very rarely pain after the treatment; if so relief by conventional painkillers
- low risk of inflammation
- fast healing
- additional effect by the formation of new connective tissue
Risks and side effects
However as with any surgical procedure there are some risks with the Aptos threads. But they occur very rarely.
- more or less strong burning sensation during and after the treatment
- infection and/or redness of the treated area
- adverse reaction to the used material
- uneven or irregular result
- swelling and bruising after the treatment which fades after a few days
However: If it is really necessary the Aptos threads can be removed again.
Whether the lifting with Aptos threads is the optimal method in each individual case can only be clarified after a careful examination and consultation.