Abdominoplasty / Tummy tuck
After weight loss a sagging and sometimes even hanging abdominal wall can be the result.
Especially after the often tedious performed weight loss it can be heavily frustrating that the overstretched skin no longer forms. Even with a lot of sport, specific muscle training and discipline the abdominal can only be partially optically improved.
Many women do not venture to go out in a bikini on the beach. The male patients are disturbed by the constant slipping of the waistband.
In addition it is possible that there is an apart of the rectus abdominus muscle, the so-called diastasis recti. The skin possibly can have stretch marks, called striae.
Time of treatment
Compression garments 6 weeks days and night
2 weeks; sport restrictions 4-6 weeks
Welding tendency, skin redness and inflammation are typical symptoms. The so called fatty apron is a result of the lowering of the abdominal tissue due to overweight in combination with the decreasing firmness of the skin.
A tummy tuck can help with these problems. As part of the operation excess skin and fatty tissue is remove from the lower abdomen. The mostly smooth skin of the upper abdomen is then straightened. Additionally the abdominal muscles underneath is streamlined In the presence of diastasis recti. The aim is to restore and model a harmonious natural looking belly contour. The skin quality is a condition for good results. The skin of smokers is often inelastic and the blood flow is restricted. This can often lead to impaired wound healing. Different surgical methods are used depending on the findings:
- In the pure fat apron ablation only the skin and fat excess is removed in the region of the lower abdomen.
- A mini tummy tuck is possible with a mild form of the sagging abdominal wall. The surgery is limited to the removal of excess subcutaneous fat on the lower abdomen. The scar is well hidden underneath the bikini bottom. The surgery can be performed under sedation or general anesthesia.
- Otherwise a full tummy tuck /abdominalplasty is required. The sagging skin, fatty tissue and any existing stretch marks and scars will be removed over an arcuate incision on the lower abdomen in the area of the pubic hair. The remaining skin is tightened. An incision around the navel is also required to place it back in an appropriate height.
- The so-called champagne channel can be modeled by anchoring the navel to the abdominal wall and by removing some of the fat.
- If the abdominal wall muscle part they are brought to their original positions with sutures. This achieves a flatter and firmer postoperative abdominal wall with contouring and a narrowing of the waist.
- A disturbing umbilical hernia can be corrected on this occasion.
If desired a tummy tuck can be combined with a liposuction so adjacent areas of the body can be formed and remaining fat deposit after weight loss can be thinned.
To increase the security and a low-stress healing you will stay in our inpatient treatment for 2 days after the surgery. You can slowly resume your daily activities after that. For the period of 6 weeks you should avoid strenuous physical activities and sporting activities. In particular after streamlining the abdominal muscle you should avoid lifting larger loads (>5kg) during that period. To prevent rare but serious complications we implement thrombosis and antibiotic prophylaxis. The wound drains secure the outflow of wound exudate and can usually be removed after 1-2 days. A compression garment has to be worn for 6 weeks day and night to support the body contour. The threads generally can be removed 2 weeks after the surgery.
The final result can be see after 3-6 months.
I am available for personal and individual advice.